[tex-live] [tlpmgui] tlpmgui starts in the wrong mode under Win32

Dirk Ullrich dirk.ullrich at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:01:41 CET 2007

2007/2/2, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:
[...]
> There are situations where the Single Tree (ST) approach is helpful
> (so you can switch between TL2003, ..., TL2007) simply by updating the
> path, and situations where it is helpful to follow the "Filesystem
> Hierarchy Standard" (FHS).   Note that for this to be realistic, ST
> needs static linking, while the people who advocate FHS also tend to
> need dynamic linking.
[...]
> There is another goal that needs to be mentioned more often: avoiding
> things that will create confusion among users and raise noise levels
> on c.t.t, etc.  There is a problem
> with ST TL being installed in parallel with other TeX systems.  I see
> system with parts of Y&Y TeX, 4allTeX, MikTeX, etc either incompletely
> removed, or copied from some old machine after some document failed to
> compile with the current TeX.
[...]
Yes, I have for years parallel TeX installations both under Win32 and
under *NIX--and, with some care, without any problems. But I
complained that the current tlpmgui prevents me from installing
another TL in parallel to an existing TeX installation without doing
some nasty tricks.

I understand that many users want an automatic mechanism which ensures
that there are not conflicts between a TL they are about to install
and existing TeX installations (or installation fragments). But I do
_not_ understand why there should not be an expert mode that allows me
to force things in a way I want-- when I am willing to pay the price
to get a ruined system (something like being "root" under *NIX). Such
a possibly dangerous expert mode may start with a bold warning that I
am about to kill my pet or destroy the world ... but I _want_ to have
the choice.

It is exactly those philosophy of Windows to defend the user from
himself which is one of the main reasons not to use a Windows system
if I have a choice.

Dirk