[tex-live] [tlpmgui] tlpmgui starts in the wrong mode under Win32

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Feb 2 15:47:14 CET 2007

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> I wanted to say that the owner of texmf-dist is root and permitions
> are 0755 (I hope I remember it well). Thus for normal users it is read
> only.

I think that Zdenek is referring to *x-based systems here;
for Windows users, I do not believe that the installer
attempts to set or to re-set ACLs at all, leaving the
entire Windows TEXMF hierarchy very vulnerable.

Microsoft do /not/ set a good example in this respect
(as I suggested in my previous message), but there
is no reason (IMHO) why we need to follow their lead
rather than attempt a clean separation of program from
data, and read-only data from read-write.

** Phil.