[tex-live] Request - texLive distributions in formats other than iso

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 25 00:48:34 CET 2007

    I do not have mount privileges on the target system,

I gather Linux has user-controlled filesystems of some sort, but I've
never investigated.

    and am not aware of any way other than 'mount' to deal with iso
    imaes on *nix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software + assorted
searches turn up a few.  I've never used them, though.

    I could not find a good open-source tool to extract a file hierarchy
    from an iso file, so I wrote one:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/uniso/

Wow, cool.

    trouble, wouldn't it be reasonable to also release a
    texLive.tar.{gz,bz2}?

Certainly.  I'm not sure exactly what formats the next TL will be
released as, but it will include something besides iso.  As for the 07
release, it's aged enough now that I doubt there's much percentage in
providing an alternative at this late date.

Holiday regards,
Karl