[tex-live] missing latex.fmt

Johannes Goller jogojapan at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:39:49 CET 2007

Dear TexLive team,

after following the instructions on
http://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html in order to install TexLive on
i383-linux in /usr/local/texlive of a machine runniner Redhat Enterprise
Linux release 3 (Taroon Update 7), I ran into the following issue when true
to "latex" or "pdflatex" a simple .tex test file:

latex Diss.tex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

I tried various combinations of "texconfig" and "texconfig-sys" and
"fmtutil-sys", using such options as "--enable-fmt latex", "--refresh",
"--missing", "--all", but I am still having the problem.

I installed TexLive as user "root", but I tried the above both as "root" and
as an ordinary user.

The options I chose during the installation were as follows:
  - I removed several language-specific packages
  - I removed several of the documentation packages
  - I enabled the "install essential binaries" option [because, from its
name, it seems to be essential]

But I also tried a flat installation with no options changed (after removing
the previous installation). None of this had any impact on the situation.

Would you kindly be able to help me?

Regards,

Johannes Goller.