[tex-live] pstopdf - strange behaviour on linux

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:25:55 CET 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 9:36 PM, Wolfgang Fleischer wrote:
> Hello
>
> This time I have a question about pstopdf on linux:
>
> When I use pstopdf like
>
>   latex sample2e
>   dvips sample2e
>   pstopdf sample2e.ps
>
> I end up with a correct pdf-file sample2e.pdf.
>
> Now lets do
>
>   mv sample2e.ps aBcD.ps
>   pstopdf aBcD.ps
>
> to have a file name with uppercase letters.
>
> There is no output file aBcD.pdf. pstopdf complains about not finding
> aBcD.ps which is true because aBcD.ps has been renamed to abcd.ps.
> If there exist both files abcd.ps and aBcD.ps the command
>
>   pstopdf aBcD.ps
>
> will overwrite abcd.ps without any warning.

Hello,

Which TeX distribution are you using and what does
    ctxtools --contextversion
return?

pstopdf behaves a bit weird in some cases (I prefer to use ps2pdf
which is more reliable and more configurable), but I cannot reproduce
the behavior you're describing. For me it works OK (on Mac OS X, TeX
Live 2007 + ConTeXt version 2007.09.28).

/tmp> pstopdf aBcD.ps
PsToPdf | converting ps (ps) into pdf
PsToPdf | conversion method 2
PsToPdf | converting aBcD.ps bounded