[tex-live] Runtime limitations on open files?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Aug 17 13:40:55 CEST 2007

On 17 Aug 2007, at 12:00 pm, David Kastrup wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are crashing with "too many open files" on PDFTeX from TeXlive.
> The object id where this happens is 513 or so, and it would be my
> guess that PDFTeX keeps image files open as long as it has not yet
> shipped them out.
>
> It would appear that the system limitations of win32 are much larger,
> so I suspect the runtime with which TeXlive2007 has been compiled.
>
> Does anybody have a good pointer to where I might look for further
> information?  This is quite a bad roadblock for us.

I believe the W32 binaries in TL were built by Akira using MS Visual
Studio tools, but I don't know whether/how this limit can be
controlled there.

As a workaround, have you tried alternatives such as generating DVI
output and then running dvipdfmx? It's possible that might handle
things differently.

JK