[tex-live] texmf-local vs. texmf

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Apr 12 16:15:24 CEST 2007

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> I wrote before about the theory of having texmf-local override
> texmf-dist, but not texmf.  The result is that, in the current
> distribution, cid-x.map and ttfonts.map (and probably other files) have
> to be edited in their texmf/ location rather than in texmf-local.

Why are files which are edited for configuration in TEXMFLOCAL or
TEXMFMAIN at all?  Shouldn't they be in

> TEXMF = {!!$TEXMFCONFIG,!!$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(well, it seems this tree is not created by default)

> (Transposing TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFMAIN from the default; of course if
> you've made other changes the actual line may look different.)

Debian has long ago done that exchange.  But we also provide
TEXMFSYSCONFIG, and in fact texmfmain means something different for us
(pool files and stuff is in TEXMFDIST, dpkg-managed, and add-on packages
not included in (our) texlive install into texmfmain.

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)