[tex-live] texmf and updmap

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Sep 26 00:26:26 CEST 2006

    I'm wondering which texmf tree I should use.

Master/texmf.

    The most up-to-date one is Build/source/inst/texmf

That's created by the make install in the Build script.  It's not part
of the repository.  Build/source/inst is essentially just a staging
directory.

    If I use Master/texmf instead of Build/source/inst/texmf it's very
    likely that I miss other things which are generated by the build
    process.

Everything needed to run should be in Master/texmf, because that is what
eventually gets distributed.  Unfortunately the process of updating (or
even checking) Master/texmf from the make install to inst/texmf is not
automated.  I would very much welcome help (scripts, volunteers, ...) in
this regard :).

    Or should I put both directories into TEXMFMAIN?

It shouldn't be necessary to change TEXMFMAIN (or anything else) from
the version in the repo.

    but proto10.map doesn't exist.  Are the archaic fonts incomplete?

I updated from a new release of archaic, and Peter provides an "all in
one" map file now.  I haven't done the rebuild which updates updmap.cfg
(not to mention psfonts.map, pdftex.map, etc.) yet.  Another thing I'd
be glad to have help with.  I've written some scripts, but I don't trust
them enough to automate the entire thing at this point.

Thanks,