[tex-live] [WinEdt] LaTeX-Help ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Sep 21 10:38:57 CEST 2006

Dear Staszek, copy all --

Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> WinEdt is not included on TeX Live (and never will be), because of its
> shareware status.
> People are free to install any favourite text editor for their own.
> We cannot force them to install any specific editor, anyway.
> Please see The TeX Live Guide (live.pdf), page 17.

I did not intend to suggest that Winedt was on TeX-Live.  There was
(and still is, I suspect) confusion because WinEDT has an environment
variable "LaTeX-Help" which Alex says should point to the directory
containing LaTeX2e.chm.  My post was intended to point out only that
there was no LaTeX2e.chm on TeX-Live (2005).  Tomek Łuczak responded
that LaTeX2e.chm was a part of WinEDT, Alex which Alex vociferously
denied (see attached).  I think a part of the problem is that not all
have been cc'd on replies.

** Phil.