[tex-live] TeXLive 2005 is slower than TeXLive2003

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:51:01 CEST 2006

On 9/9/06, Jinsong Zhao <jszhao at mail.hzau.edu.cn> wrote:

> I hope my question is only a special case.
>
> I have install the TL2005 again, and now, it has a similar speed
> compared with TL2003. I don't know why.
>
> The previous version of TL2005 is installed from a the TL2005 Live DVD.
> I just copy /bin, /texmf, /texmf-* and /xemtex to my disk and set proper
> environment. It's seems ok, but has a very low speed. However, in the same
> way, the TL2003 works well.

I installed the beta-test versions of TL2005 by copying a tree generated using
linux and the install CD (selecting multiple binaries for the various
platforms).
I recall some minor changes were needed in texmf.cnf for Win32.  The
Win32 installer replaces texm.cnf with a WIn32 version -- what does
the live DVD use?

> Now, I install the TL2005 from the TL2005 Live DVD using the provided installer,
> and all seem works.
>
> I compared the directory of both TL2005, and don't find any different.

Did you use the win32 version of texmf.cnf?   The original can be found at:

http://tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texlive/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf-4WIN

I think the default version (e.g., used on linux) puts generated files
under $HOME/.texlive2005  (because some multi-user systems prohibit
users from writing outside their home directory).

> I also install the following TeX distribution according to Karl's advice, http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
> It's very fast. And I like the way of its installation.
>
> It seems that the installer of TL2005 is too simple, and don't give enough
> information to user.
>
> Thanks to everyone who paid attention to my question.

I'm glad you found a way to get things working.  We still don't know
why your attempt to copy the live DVD failed, but since the same files
appear to work fine when installed using the GUI tool, we can rule
most of the possibilities, which leaves a kpathsea problem, which can
be checked using the built-in debugging options.

Maybe section 4.2 of the 'live' document needs some elaboration:

1.  indicate that "latex sample2e" should never take more than 1-2 s.
unless you are using an antique computer.

2.  mention the role of kpathsea and the debugging capabilities

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia