[tex-live] TeXLive 2005 is slower than TeXLive2003

Jinsong Zhao jszhao at mail.hzau.edu.cn
Sat Sep 9 15:54:44 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I hope my question is only a special case.

I have install the TL2005 again, and now, it has a similar speed
compared with TL2003. I don't know why.

The previous version of TL2005 is installed from a the TL2005 Live DVD.
I just copy /bin, /texmf, /texmf-* and /xemtex to my disk and set proper
environment. It's seems ok, but has a very low speed. However, in the same
way, the TL2003 works well.

Now, I install the TL2005 from the TL2005 Live DVD using the provided installer,
and all seem works.

I compared the directory of both TL2005, and don't find any different.

I also install the following TeX distribution according to Karl's advice, http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html
It's very fast. And I like the way of its installation.

It seems that the installer of TL2005 is too simple, and don't give enough
information to user.

Thanks to everyone who paid attention to my question.

Best regards,
Jinsong