[tex-live] TeXLive 2005 is slower than TeXLive2003

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 13:36:04 CEST 2006

On 9/8/06, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> [...]

> But there is a significant difference between TL-2003 and TL-2005:
>
> This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>
> It seems that the point is that LaTeX provided by TL-2003 is based on
> Knuth's TeX while it is based on PdfTeX in TL-2005.

MikTeX 2.5 is using pdftex now.  If there were some basic problem with
pdftex there would be many complaints from people upgrading from 2.4.

> I also tested it on my old machine with TL2005.
>
> What I'm wondering is that I can compile the file on my 8-year old
> machine (350 MHz and 256 MB) in less than 0.7s while Jinsong
> needs more than 6 seconds.  If I recall correctly he has twice as much
> memory.

6.95 s. is clearly way outside what would be expected, but I doubt we
can understand the problem without data from Win32 afflicted machines.
  A number of people have suggested tests (kpathsea debug settings,
tools from sysinternals, disabling AV scans), and these suggestions
are in the archive for any Win32 user who encounters the problem and
cares to provide data.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia