[tex-live] License auditing: Consequences

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 22:53:45 CEST 2006

Karl Berry wrote:
>     Creative Commons ShareAlike
>
> I find the CC licenses extremely confusing, because there are so many of
> them, and many of them are nonfree.
Sure, they dont map 1:1 onto open source. But they
do reflect what folks want on the ground
>  What does ShareAlike do?

do what you want with the doc, but acknowledge source,
and the same licence must be used on derivatives. We use
it for all documents in OSS Watch (http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/).
> My own preference these days is just to use the simplest thing possible

I would say that CC is that. it has the same virtue as the GPL,
that its widely used and understood, and has lawyers to
help defend its status. It also has clear metadata
to attach.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk