[tex-live] installation issues: texmf.cnf latex.fmt and others

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 19 22:20:48 CEST 2006

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about the unsuccessful struggles.

    c:\TeXLive2005\texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf: ini file latex.ini not found

It should be in texmf-dist/tex/latex/config/latex.ini.  Is it there?

Is the ls-R file up to date?  Try running mktexlsr.

What's the output from kpsewhich latex.ini?  Anything?

    %%TEXMFSYSCONFIG isn't defined

Shouldn't matter.

    Finally, as environmental variables, we see

I'm surprised any environment variables need to be set.  I'd try
unsetting them all.

In particular, is C:\TeXLive2005\texmf-var\web2c\texmf.cnf the texmf.cnf
file you were looking at?  What does kpsewhich texmf.cnf say?

People really are using TL under Windows, so hopefully it will be
possible to get it working!

Best,
Karl