[tex-live] installation issues: texmf.cnf latex.fmt and others

Tim Calkins tcalkins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 08:56:26 CEST 2006

Greetings -

I recently switched to Win XP for work, and I'm struggling to find a TeX
distribution.  I'm primarily interested in LaTeX.  I followed the
instructions to install TeX Live and it worked for a while.  Then it stopped
working completely, claiming not to find the latex.fmt file.  I checked in
texmf-var/web2c and indeed it had disappeared (I presume the file had been
there at some point).  I couldn't find it on my machine, so I removed the
entire installation after a totally unproductive morning playing with
fmtutil and mktexfmt.  After removing the files using the GUI, I manually
deleted the C:\TeXLive2005 directory and the tex related environment
variables.  I then reinstalled everything.

Still not working, still unable to find latex.fmt.  I'll try to include all
the relevant information, but I may miss something:

the texmf.cnf file includes the following lines, among many others:

TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf
TEXMFDIST = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-dist
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local
TEXMFSYSVAR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-var
TEXMFHOME = $HOME/texmf
TEXMFVAR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-var
TEXMFCONFIG = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-var

%%TEXMFSYSCONFIG isn't defined

TEXMF =
{!!$TEXMFCONFIG,!!$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

WEB2C =    $TEXMF/web2c

TEXINPUTS.latex        = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.latex209    = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex209,generic,latex,}//
TEXINPUTS        = .;$TEXMF/tex/{$progname,generic,}//

and so on.  running
fmtutil --missing
produces a list of failures all of the form
c:\TeXLive2005\texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf: ini file latex.ini not found

running kpsewhich confirms that SELFAUTOPARENT, TEXMF, and TEXMFCNF are
fine.

kpsewhich -expand-var $TEXINPUTS
.;C:\TeXLive2005\texmf/tex/{kpsewhich,generic,}//

Finally, as environmental variables, we see

set TEXMF
TEXMF=C:\TeXLive2005\texmf
TEXMFCNF=C:\TeXLive2005\texmf-var\web2c
TEXMFTEMP=C:\TeXLive2005\temp

any and all suggestions will be tried and appreciated.  thanks in advance,

tim

--
Tim Calkins
0406 753 997