[tex-live] missing Adobe AFM files?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Oct 11 11:31:38 CEST 2006

Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> This email I've sent some time ago is still valid...
>
> I'm going to fix it, this is, to add the AvantGarde AFM files to
> avantgar.tpm, and the NewCenturySchlbk AFM files to ncntrsbk.tpm --
> the same is done for other Adobe AFMs in bundles like bookman.tpm.
>
> Objections?

Err, well, probably yes, to some extent.  Ralf Stubner and I have tried
to understand the kind of messy situation of the PSNFSS tpm files.  A
first report is in

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/tex-live/2006-May/010058.html

After that, we digged through old and current CTAN files, documentation,
and finally think we have an idea.  The result would probably be some
reorganization, and a considerable removal of completely useless,
obsolete and sometimes non-free material.  However, we wanted to
double-check this by asking Walter Schmidt, the psnfss maintainer, and
unfortunately he hasn't answered so far.

But indeed I should probably bring that up now, and not one week before
TeXlive is going to be released...  I send Walter a copy of this mail.
Walter, can you please tell us whether you will have time to look into
this?

For the time being, you can have a look at the script we used for the
analysis at

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-tex/tetex-base/trunk/debian/searchbase35?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

and at the results:  The files with names starting with psnfss- in

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-tex/texlive/trunk/LocalTPM/?rev=0&sc=0

So while I do not object to add files that are missing, I think those
tpm files need a proper reorganization sooner or (rather not) later.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)