[tex-live] OSFONTDIR in texmf.cnf-4WIN

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Oct 8 01:50:08 CEST 2006

  >> TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;c:/windows/fonts//;$OSFONTDIR//

  > If you do this, I strongly suggest making a variable (WINFONTS or
  > something), instead of hardwiring the path in the (several)
  > assignments.

Akira's suggestion sounds very good:

  > OSFONTDIR = c:/{windows,winnt,winnt35}/fonts//
  > TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;$OSFONTDIR

At the moment we have in texmf.cnf and texmf.cnf-4WIN:

  OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment

The question is what the environment variable OSFONTDIR is supposed to
do:

  OSFONTDIR = c:/{windows,winnt,winnt35}/fonts//
  TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;$OSFONTDIR

Here, if the environment variable OSFONTDIR is set, $OSFONTDIR in
texmf.cnf is re-defined.  Or should it be like this:

  OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment
  WINFONTDIR = c:/{windows,winnt,winnt35}/fonts//
  TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;$OSFONTDIR;$WINFONTDIR

In this case you can use OSFONTDIR to add additional directories.

  > OSFONTDIR in other variables like AFMFONTS may not be necessary at
  > present.

What happens if I buy and install a Type1 font (Futura for instance)
in order to use it with other programs like Quark, PageMaker or
InDesign.  Will this font be installed in
c:/{windows,winnt,winnt35}/fonts?

If this is the case it should be sufficient to install Walter
Schmidt's Futura support files.  Of course, it will probably not work
because TeX expects other filenames but I have seen font packages
which provide map files which support original filenames.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25