[tex-live] OSFONTDIR in texmf.cnf-4WIN

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Oct 6 22:01:22 CEST 2006

Hi,
this is an excerpt of Master/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf-4WIN:
% OSFONTDIR is to provide a convenient hook for allowing TeX to find
% fonts installed on the system (outside of TeX).  An empty default
% value would add "//" to the search paths, so we give it a dummy value.
OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment

% PostScript Type 1 outline fonts.
T1FONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/type1//;$OSFONTDIR//

% PostScript AFM metric files.
AFMFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//;$OSFONTDIR//

% TrueType outline fonts.
TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;$OSFONTDIR//

% Opentype outline fonts.
OPENTYPEFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//;$OSFONTDIR//

Are there any Windows releases where the system fonts had not been in
c:/windows/fonts?

Even if they are not, does it hurt if c:/windows/fonts is in the
search path?  For example:

TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;c:/windows/fonts//;$OSFONTDIR//

$OSFONTDIR then has to be set only if the system fonts are somewhere else.

I ask because VnTeX provides support files for Microsoft core fonts
(which support Vietnamese) and it would be nice if users do not have
to set environment variables manually.

The purpose of the TL live system is to allow beginners to try TeX.
If things do not work immediately it is very hard to convince them to
continue.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25