[tex-live] How to do the following?

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Oct 3 21:59:00 CEST 2006

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:
> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:
>
>> $ etex \&latex "\"file with spaces\""
>> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>> entering extended mode
>> (./file with spaces.tex
>> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
>> [....]
>
> It is nothing that earlier LaTeX versions will like (and of course, it
> uses the wrong search paths for TeX input files):

I am not sure why Reinhard used 'etex' on the commandline. I used
pdfetex in my examples just to make sure that the &latex trickery works
and the format is loaded because of it and not because of the binary's
name. However, something like

latex '&latex "file with spaces"'

works here as well. And I expect it to work also with other formats. At
least

latex '&pdflatex "file with spaces"'

produces a PDF file, though it does not find the map file since progname
is not set correctly.

cheerio
ralf