[tex-live] using JadeTeX with TeX Live

John Lumby johnlumby at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:27:03 CET 2006

I have been trying to make JadeTeX work with TeX Live on a linux RedHat9
system with no success so far (although I think close).     Wondering if
someone can help as I see references to use of jadeTeX in the maiing list
but nothing telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Firstly, I've installed Live TeX by downloading the source.tar.bz2 and
running Build, i.e. not from am ISO.    Everything appeared to be ok
although the resulting main tex directory is not in a standard place (it's
in /sysbuild/livetex).    But after adding
/sysbuild/livetex/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu  to my PATH, some things seem to
work ok.

My intended use of jadetex is with the jade backend processors of docbook,
mainly pdfjadetex.   I've used this on another older system with success
(but that was with tetex which was already installed).

Now, when I try to follow the instructions for installing jadetex, I come
unstuck in trying to create the jadetex.fmt and pdfjadetex.fmt.   The
instructions on the jadetex site seem to imply that latex is needed and that
a file jadetex.ltx is neded as input (it's referenced in the jadetex.ini and
pdfjadetex.ini files provided by jadetex).    I don't have latex so I assume
the tex in my livetex will do it,  but
cd /sysbuild/jadetex-3.13; tex jadetex.dtx
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.3)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
fmtutil: format `tex' not available.
I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!

Ok, so I need to build tex.fmt - but I'm not sure how, and all the following
fail :
fmtutil --cnffile /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf  --fmtdir
/sysbuild/livetex/texmf/web2c --byfmt tex
fmtutil: format `tex' not available.
That is because there is no file tex.ini anywhere in or under my
/sysbuild/livetex - should there be?
(Also I saw mention of an executable fmtutil-sys in some documentation but
there is no file with that name in my system)

different attempt :
texconfig formats
reports
can't find /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps

(In fact there is a directory /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/dvips/config but it's
empty).

It looks to me that my livetex is not setup correctly but I don't know what
is wrong.     This is my first use of TeX Live, always before I have used
tetex, but saw that Live TeX has superceded tetex.
I am completely stuck -    can anyone please help?

John