[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Bruno Piguet bpiguet at teaser.fr
Wed May 31 08:04:14 CEST 2006

gnwiii at gmail.com a écrit :

> In my experience, users are very reluctant to give up the vendor
> supplied packages.
> They will use TL when it is installed (in a separate tree) by an
> admin, but would balk at
> installing it themselves or anything that meant deleting the vendor files.

I'm a user.

My empirical experience is that teTeX coming with the system is
generally outdated.
My solution is to install TeXLive in ~/TLyyyy (not even every year;
every other year is generally enough for my needs), and set my PATH
accordingly. (Yes. That's a bit selfish. But I don't  have write access
to /usr/local or /opt).
And I even dare recommending this solution to colleagues.
Hopefully, a direct rpm production by TeXLive (or even CTAN) would solve
the problem of outdated version coming through rpms, but I don't see it
   an easy task.

Bruno.