[tex-live] Successful (but cludgy) build on cygwin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 30 23:44:39 CEST 2006

    Ah, I see the "Build" script installs inside the pwd at the time its
    invoked.

Yes, the idea is that the Build script is used to create the binaries.
Just the binaries.  Then the binaries are manually copied to the Master
tree in bin/whatever.

If you do the usual configure && make && make install thing out of the
TL sources, you will not end up with exactly the same thing as if you do
a TL installation.  I do not know offhand what the differences will be,
and you can certainly try it and see if you get something usable, but I
don't advise it.

If it doesn't work, my suggestion would be to do a normal TL
installation (omitting all the binaries).  Then run the normal Build
script (with the result in inst subdir).  Then copy the
inst/bin/whatever directory to your installed location (/tl/root/bin).

Actually, now that I write that, I am not sure if it will work, or if
some of the binaries need to be run as part of the installation.  If so,
it'll be more complicated.

Guess you'll see.

Meanwhile, please do send a patch for the getline changes.

Thanks,
Karl