[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 29 20:47:49 CEST 2006

    the tetex{...}.rpm collection was sadly out of date. I've never
    actually found out why, or who was supplying it to the Red Hat

Years ago, I heard from a (non-TeX) friend at RH that they added a ton
of patches to support Japanese to their rpm's.  Those changes were never
backported to the mainstream distributions, and indeed I had never heard
about them.  So then RH said they can't update because it's too much
work to re-port their Japanese changes to a new release.  Nice, huh?

I didn't bother to try confirming or unconfirming this, and have no idea
what's currently in the RH or FC distributions.  I have other things to
do :).  My approach has always been to ignore the RH TeX installations
entirely and just install my own in /usr/local.  As anyone who installs
current TL could guess :).

karl