[tex-live] building from source

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 25 22:32:39 CEST 2006

    Sadly I am ignorant of what the "main texmf" tree is or wheat files
    is required here.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Don't worry about it.  For TL purposes, those warnings are pretty
useless, since the binaries have to be moved by hand into the right
place anyway.

    /usr/include/sys/stdio.h:31: error: previous declaration of 'getline' was here
    ../../../../TeX/utils/t1utils/t1asm.c:284: error: conflicting types for 'getline'

Well, t1asm.c defines its own getline.  I don't think getline is a
standard function?  So I'm puzzled that it is being declared in stdio.h
by default in Cygwin.  It doesn't seem to be the case on any other
systems, since I don't recall this error being reported before.

Anyway, to work around it, I imagine you could either change stdio.h or
rename `getline' in t1asm.c, e.g., add
#define getline t1getline
to the top of the file.

BTW, if you succeed in producing good binaries for Cygwin, I'd
appreciate a link to a tarball so I could link to them from the TL web
pages.  Ok?

Eddie, maybe you could change the function name in a future release,
just to avoid this problem?

Thanks,
Karl