[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:02:15 CEST 2006

On 5/22/06, Thomas Esser <te at dbs.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> I am sorry to announce some bad news about teTeX: there won't be a next
> release. To be more precise: there won't be a next release done by me.

I have often been asked "We need a new unix/linux system, which of
these can run TeX?", to which I could confidently reply: "teTeX can
easily be installed on any of the systems you are considering".  Your
contribution has been far greater than can reasonably be expected from
any one individual.  So while I feel a sense of loss in that teTeX may
fall into the care of less capabable hands, there is also a sense of
relief.

Whether or not there are more releases of teTeX, your work provides
the foundation for a significant fraction of active TeX installations,
including those used by many of the people who are actively working to
improve TeX.  It was an impressive effort and a significant
contribution to the scientific community, among others.  Recognition
and rewards often pass over people who just quietly get on with making
things better, but you can take enormous satisfaction from the fact
that your efforts not only will have lasting benefits for TeX users
around the world but also provide an example for others.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia