[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat May 20 23:39:09 CEST 2006

  > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
  >> We need more feedback from all the people involved in TeXLive
  >> production somehow.  The question is: Can you live with svn or
  >> not.

  > I have never contributed to TeXlive and I probably never will.
  > Let's say I am just a lurker. But I am strongly in favour of svn.
  > I have checked out a working copy and I am happy to be able to
  > follow the ongoing developement of TeXlive. Something I never did
  > with p4. (Well, I tried it concerning pdftex some time ago.)

  > Well, this is just a very personal and highly emotional
  > estimation.  But maybe it is not unimportant to you to know that
  > there are people out there observing your work who are very happy
  > with the svn repository.

Last year I asked Karl how I can look into the p4 repository and he
pointed me to the rsync module.

For people who do not want to upload anything, rsync is by far the
best choice.  It's fast and reliable.  It still works with the current
svn repository.

You can try

    rsync tug.org::tldevsrc <some target directory>

However, it makes sense to add "--exclude=Images" to prevent
downloading disk images and, what I've found out today,
"--cvs-exclude" prevents rsync from downloading all the .svn files and
directories.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
   Reinhard