[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 20 01:52:44 CEST 2006

    who are the most important users

Last year, my impression was that Staszek and I probably made over 90%
of the commits between the two of us.

    and what are their experiences so far.

As I've told Staszek several times :), there is no question that he
*needs* to be happy and be able to work efficiently.  Otherwise it is
hard to imagine TL ever being released.  His latest response to me was
that he was ok with going forward with svn.

I don't think there is anything endemic to svn which makes it unusable.
I hope the problems which Staszek has reported have mostly been
overcome.  Given access to his machine, I think Reinhard, I, or others
would have shot at debugging if things get bad again.

(After all, one of the advantages of svn is that far more people in our
world have experience with it than p4; another advantage is that the
source is available, so what is actually happening can be determined and
not just guessed at.)

Anyway, to reiterate for the umpteenth time: if Staszek wants to move
back to p4, then I am perfectly happy to discuss that.  Otherwise, my
preference is to move forward with svn, for all the reasons I've written
about before.

karl