[tex-live] TeXlive infrastructure

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 6 00:00:08 CEST 2006

    The obvious parallel would be to have base35.tpm (or urw-base35.tpm,
    as in the Catalogue) which installs into fonts/*/urw/base35.  I
    guess this would be in fact straightforward to program,

It's not, because the cases are not parallel.  antiqua and grotesq are
fonts.  base35 is a collection of fonts.

There are many, many cases where TL structure is not the same as CTAN
structure.  This is one of them.  It doesn't make sense to me to move
away from fonts/FILETYPE/SUPPLIER/TYPEFACE in the texmf trees at this
late date (although it is not my favorite).

I certainly agree with the goals of making provenance clear,
corresponding with CTAN and/or the Catalogue wherever possible, and
keeping Walter as happy as possible :).  But I still can't see a
texmf-dist/tpm/urw-base35.tpm.

What I can imagine is:

- determining which of the base font files in TL really are on CTAN;
  hopefully the answer is "most".

- having a collection-urw-base35 which corresponds exactly to the CTAN
  files, if you want it.

- having the other assorted random files we have accumulated over the
  years separated out and/or copied back to CTAN and/or whatever is
  appropriate.

Meanwhile, I have a thousand other packages to update, so I'm going to
have this to you and anyone else who is interested to sort out.

Thanks,
Karl