[tex-live] TL 2005 post-installation questions

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 5 22:22:33 CEST 2006

    probably I miss here something about the functionality of
    texconfig-sys and friends.

I don't think you're missing anything.  I just don't think it would be
wise to assume by default that configuration files written in year X can
be used in years X+1, X+2, ..., indefinitely.  If you want to try it,
set TEXMFSYSCONFIG to the texmf-local directory, or wherever you want.
It's just the default ...

Personally, I install the full distribution from scratch each year.  It
takes about five minutes to run the installer and configuration scripts,
and 20 minutes to copy the files.  Not a big deal ...

Cheers,
Karl