[tex-live] Re: TL licensing following FSF

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Fri Mar 17 00:23:07 CET 2006

Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> writes:

> karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:
>
>> In LICENSE.TL, I would like to add something like "When FSF and Debian
>> conflict, we generally follow the FSF."
>>
>> The problem is the GFDL; GNU manuals generally include invariant
>> sections and texts, which Debian feels make them nonfree.

> Just make sure that you never have any non-world-readable files in the
> repository, or at least non under GFDL, because that would be a license
> violation.

I just would like to make two points: First, using the GFDL does not
necesarily mean that there are invariant parts in a document. You may
use the GFDL and make the document as a whole variable, as I did with
l2tabuen because I think there are good points for using the
GFDL.

Secondly, putting software (or whatever content) under an
English-language license is not legally binding towards private users
under German law -- and probably elsewhere neither. This only matters
to entrepreneurs. For binding non-entrepreneurs you would have to add
a German translation that is authoritative with the software.

Jürgen.