[tex-live] SVN and time

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Mar 16 21:16:58 CET 2006

  > Hi Karl, hi all!

  > First of all I want to say that I like svn. I use it a lot.

  > $ time svn up
  > U Master/readme.de.html
  > Aktualisiert zu Revision 1545.

  > real 16m5.871s
  > user 0m18.909s
  > sys 0m6.876s $

  > (this is laptop with 2.2GHz, but I guess the hard drive is the
  > limit, as the svn process was permanently in D state)

Obviously.  When I update the first time I get:

Updated to revision 1545.

real    2m46.333s
user    0m5.108s
sys     0m2.280s

and when I try again I get:

At revision 1545.

real    0m40.359s
user    0m4.432s
sys     0m0.732s

I suppose that you get a similar result if you try again.

$ strace -eopen svn update svn/ 2>&1 | wc -l
26220

This takes some time, of course.

Regards,
  Reinhard