[tex-live] SVN and time

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 16 18:30:56 CET 2006

    real    16m5.871s

Does this mean 16 minutes or 16 hours?

Well, I was/am concerned about this too; you may recall that I sent an
initial message about the lengthy update times I saw, and was reassured
that I should proceed anyway :).

    I guess the hard drive is the limit, a

Is it better if you do another svn update right away?  (Because, one
would hope, a lot of it will be in the disk cache.)  That is what I
found.  (Of course, that doesn't help with real-world activities where
it's accessed every so often, but at least it would help with
understanding.)

About all I can say is that if you're working within a particular area,
you can just svn update there, and not routinely do the whole tree; save
that for cron.  That's my approach anyway.  I don't think there is any
other (free) source control system that operates like p4.

Sorry,
Karl