[tex-live] config files read-only on Windows

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Wed Mar 1 01:15:40 CET 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 gnwiii at gmail.com wrote:

> On 2/28/06, Harriet B Borton <bortonh at rpi.edu> wrote:
> >
> > George, I understand your thoughts on not changing the original
> > config files, but the files under texmf-var are not the originals
> > (which are in the texmf tree). For years, the official instructions
> > have been to change the config files in the texmf-var tree, and this
> > year's TeXLive instructions still say to change these files. This is
> > the first year that the texmf-var tree has been read-only. So I
> > think it's reasonable to change this attribute.

Sure, You are absolutely right.

> Yes.  The texmf.cnf for windows puts texmf-var this before the $HOME/texmf.
> On linux, TEXMFVAR=$HOME/.texlive2005/texmf-var.

This is intentional, as on Windows it is not so clear what's $HOME :-)
So texmf-var is dedicated for all config files and should be writeable.

Hariet:
> > Do the people who put together TeXLive see these emails? I do think
> > the read-only permissions on texmf-var were unintended this year.
> > Thanks again for your help,

Yes, we are listening carefully all messages.
ftp://ftp.gust.org.pl/pub/Projekty/tlpmgui/tlpmgui-1.10.exe
was corrected in that regard. Thanks for pointing that.
Anyway, we still need more input/help how to do better installer
for Windows.

Kind regards,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz