[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Markus Kohm komascript at gmx.info
Fri Jun 30 10:10:29 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 30. Juni 2006 01:04 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Fine, so let's make TeXLive more useful on Windows by delivering it
> with all tools necessary to run TeXLive under a computer made
> accessible by Microsoft.

!!!

An often heard argument against applications using cygwin is that you have to
download an install a lot of cygwin packages. I've been often told that
cygwin applications are unusable because of this. So if there's no DVD
containing all parts needed to run TeX on a normal consumer PC this would
also be an argument against TeX and if such a DVD would be available this
argument wouldn't fit.

BTW: I know TeX users at companies that are not allowed to download and
install anything from internet. Some of them are allowed to install software
on their local machine from CD or DVD. Some need help from admins for
installation. If they need help from admins the admins often don't accept
DVD/CD-R or -RW. The "commertial" TeX-Live-DVDs are accepted. But I don't
think, that downloaded add-ons will be accepted. So if TeX-Live wants to be
TeX for everybody all needed tools should be part of the DVD.

I'm glad that there's no such problem with LaTeX, because companies I know
often do not use ConTeXt but LaTeX.

Markus