[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 12:41:58 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen wrote:
> btw, an interesting side effect is that in addition to support on the
> derived work (the tex distribution) user groups may end up in
> providing all kind of support (offering sources, burdning additional
> cd's, hiring web servers to serve the sources, etc); i wonder if
> that's the real intention of gpl.
I think one has to take the attitude that the GPL conveys enormous
benefit; but there is  a quid pro quo,
it isn't a free lunch
> Say that i have 1 meg of webspace and provide a ruby script, does that
> mean that i also need to provide the 10 meg of libraries that are used
> and even the source code of the binaries needed to run them ... quite
> impractical)
No. The rule is that you have to provide the source of material that you
distribute. No more, no less.
If you don't distribute the library or intepreter, you're fine.

> i'd expect that nowadsys, with the availability of networks references
> to locations would be enough; i wonder if such things will evolve to
> more practical ones some day
the GPL 3 is under discussion now....  I cant recall offhand whether it
improves in this area.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk