[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 00:15:26 CEST 2006

David Kastrup wrote:

> I still maintain that it is contraproductive to demand that every
> Windows user of TeXLive should be required to have broadband (never
> mind internet access).

Why has this suddenly become an issue? ConTeXt has depended
on an external scripting language for about 10 years now,
whether it be Perl or Ruby or whatever it was that Hans
used to favour in the 1990s. I don't recall anyone
moaning much about it. TeX Live is not realistically
a "live" system these days, it's just hardly conceivable
anyone would use it like that, surely? Its a nice
complete distribution on a CD or DVD ready
to install, that's all.

Why does this list generate so much emotion
and anger? come on, guys, its just
computer software, its not real life.

--
Sebastian Rahtz