[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jun 30 00:09:53 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Microsoft's latest "security uploads" include a utility that checks
>> for "legitimateness" of the Windows copy and nags if it considers you
>>
> well, buy a legal copy

I have one, thanks.  According to reports, that is not a sure-fire way
to avoid getting your system made unusable.

>> available for that treatment.  Can't be removed, either.  The next
>> version is supposed to be compulsory, and to put the system down if
>> you haven't had your system phone home to Microsoft for three
>> months.
>>
> not different from what redhat did a few years ago: i suddenly got
> these "sorry, you cannot update now because our paid customers get
> priority",

It is not different if you get queued for a free service, or if your
system gets actively shut down?

> the same is true for experiences with tex or msword or office or
> indesign or ...

With TeX.  Certainly.

I still don't see why having to download (or otherwise acquire) and
separately install utilities essential for the running of TeXLive on
Windows should be a good idea.  And that you have had nothing but
pleasant experiences with broadband net access for Windows does not
really convince me otherwise.