[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 29 23:54:55 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> I don't even have net connectivity with my Windows partition, and I am
>> certainly not going to change that, given Windows' security track
>> record.
>>
> don't worry, one gets the sec patches for a relative long period even
> when new versions come out,

Microsoft's latest "security uploads" include a utility that checks
for "legitimateness" of the Windows copy and nags if it considers you
available for that treatment.  Can't be removed, either.  The next
version is supposed to be compulsory, and to put the system down if
you haven't had your system phone home to Microsoft for three months.

The XP license explicitly allows Microsoft to remotely change and also
permanently damage your system without recompensation, even if you
have a legitimate license.

No way, Jose.  My computer is too important for my work.

> beware of pdftex ... it links to png lib which has a security breach
> (just fixed but could be a problem if you don't update) ... the
> danger is in the pictures -)

I update my Linux box pretty frequently, don't worry.