[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 29 22:37:36 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> For Windows the situation is different:  Though I agree with Hans that
> it is quite easy to install 3rd party software, it is annoying to find
> out from where to get the latest release and download it.  Ruby is not
> the only thing, there are also ghostscript, graphics conversion tools,
> emacs...

you're joking, aren't you?

a google for ruby + download brings you to a page where one can find
installers for windows (and once installed, due to file assiciations one
can runy scripts without the need to rename them to suffixless files)

ghostscript, imagemagick, emacs ... all easy to install

it all depends on how you look for files, so unix users looking for a
windows file may search differently than windows users for unix files

concerning unix: when i need the latest version of something i download
a tarbal with code, compile it (several steps involved), become root in
the process, etc etc. just as you have problems with locating and
installing a windows installer, windows users may find that compile
route troublesome ...

so ... i got the feeling that we're entering an os-pre-con-discussion
loop here ...

anyhow, tex live has to be installed anyway, so i can imagine that on
the dvd we put (for windows users) copies of the installers of most
important stuff that comes in handy (ruby, perl, gs, inkscape, emacs,
vi, whatever); space enough

for linux users we can then stick to a bunch of readme files (or
scripts) explaining how to install these things using the dvd's
(assuming one had the installation on dvd) or the web (assuming that one
has a connection)

for mac users ... well, they have ruby already installed, and gerbens
installer takes care of the rest (also non tex progs)

problem solved

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE