[tex-live] Editors for Windows

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 22 21:28:00 CEST 2006

Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at GMX.DE> writes:

> Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> david doesn't "just put" a thing on ctan: we need to be convinced
>> that it's sensible for ctan.
>>
>> i fear it would be difficult to persuade the team as a whole.
>> there are limits, and while we've had the mac editor alpha since
>> time immemorial, i would fear a bilious explosion of wittering on
>> c.t.t
>
> Well, adding Emacs to CTAN isn't exactly a surprise. We have
> extensions for vi and nedit as well as AUCTeX on CTAN already. So
> why not add the editor itself to CTAN, too?

Because it is not TeX-specific?  Strictly speaking, neither is
Ghostscript, though.

> David is right, of course, as far as QA for the alpha port of
> NTEmacs is concerned. OTOH there have been quite encouraging reports
> on d.c.t.t. about this port, though I didn't test it so far.

The overall number of reports on the AUCTeX list for Windows is rather
low and has dropped sharply since we provided the precompiled
version.  It's probably to be taken as a good sign overall.

> The official NTEmacs from
> <URL:http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/> is stable. I have been
> running v21.3 long enough to be able to say so.

But it does not support preview-latex and a few other features.

> Would be the easiest way to ship the most important editor for TeX
> on CD/DVD to the Windows users amongst the members of the user
> groups.

I am not convinced that "easiest" spells "best" here.  I think the
CVS Emacs/AUCTeX compilation would make a good offering on TeXlive,
but don't think that there is a good place on CTAN right now.