[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jun 21 21:11:37 CEST 2006

>>>>> "Hans" == Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

  > i dunno what sam2p is -)

sam2p is a very interesting program, written by Peter Szabo, which
converts various bitmap formats to EPS or PDF.  It is incredibly fast
and produces extremely small files.  It's a good alternative to
ImageMagick.

      http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/sam2p

I'd like to have sam2p in TeXLive-2006, but there are still some
problems.  sam2p can be compiled like any other program (configure &&
make && make install) without any problems under Linux but I don't get
it compiled in the TL build tree.  It assumes that all generated files
will go to the directory where the sources are.  This is not the case
for TeXLive.  Peter has not the time to adapt it for TeXLive and I
have no experience with autoconf.

If we don't get it compiled in the TL build tree, I think as a last
resort it is sufficient to provide pre-compiled binaries for Windows.

The stable release of Gentoo Linux provides a sam2p package already
and I suppose that most other Linux distros provide it as well.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25