[tex-live] OT: Why use Windows [was: Re: Perl for Windows]

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Wed Jun 21 16:20:17 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:

> Sorry, but I didn't met a Windows user yet who is really happy with
> Windows.  Windows users are a special species:  They are completely
> unhappy with Windows but they are not much motivated to try anything
> else.

Not quite sure whether we are a special species. Sooner or later
you'll find that some application you really need is not available for
other platforms, so you stick to Windows. Back when I had Linux in a
dual boot installation I had to reboot to Windows so often it just
didn't make much sense any more to run Linux for teXing only. I also
cannot say that I am completely unhappy with my platform of choice. In
the first place it is very easy to get support in any form for Windows
systems. The main problem is not Windows, but the omnipresent MS
Office on Windows systems. But this is really OT, except for that it
shows how important a Windows version of TL really is.

Regards,
Jürgen.