[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Tue Jun 20 11:34:27 CEST 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> if i remember right it had to do with bin vs usr/bin and related relative paths; it was around v 8.30 or so; the problem was that the libs etc didn't end up in the right place (copying didn't work), so i just took the lot from a windows installation (same version) and it somehow did work; the problem with compiling under linux is that one has to (somewhat) fight this usr local or whatever is expected and default on your installed system; i often end up with moving things from usr/bin to bin or reverse (i know that there are all those path switches for make scripts but i've been bitten by that too often, ending up with messed up other progs due to lib replacement);

It is similar in OS/2. Some tools ported from Linux expect its file e.g.
in /usr/lib on the current drive. It means that if I have two disk, I must
have it both in C:\usr\lib and D:\usr\lib. If i connect a network drive as
Z:, I would have to put the files to Z:\usr\lib too. The current port of
teTeX for OS/2 requires one environment variable, namely UNIXROOT. The
files are then looked for in %UNIXROOT%/usr/lib (system libraries accept
both forward slashes and backslashes). It might be a good idea also for
programs ported to Windows.

Zdenek Wagner
e-mail: wagner at cesnet.cz

see also http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/