[tex-live] Perl for Windows

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jun 19 12:52:58 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> I mean, get real.  This sort of stuff is supposed to be the outcome of
>> usability labs?  KDE or GNOME would get drowned in ridicule for such
>> antics.
>>
> this is a pointless discussion; i never had the problems that you
> mentioned;

If you move off a scroll bar horizontally accidentally while dragging,
it does not jump back?  You can just copy the home directory tree of a
user that is currently active without XP balking out and aborting
because the user's registry is open?  If you "View properties" of a
file or link, the dialog can be made to display the whole path of the
file without getting cut off?

Congratulations.

>> No, a lot of things are quite inconvenient under Windows by design.
>> And I don't understand why they keep them time and again, or even
>> make them worse.
>>
> hm, if windows's design is so bad, then why do so many linux gui
> things try to mimick it ... (or the macs);

Those things I described don't get mimicked at all, sorry.  I can copy
trees even while files are being accessed, I can resize any "view
properties" dialog if I wish to if it happened to cut off information,
and dragging a toolbar does not require me to stay at the exact
horizontal location of the toolbar while doing so.  On neither Gnome,
KDE, any toolkit I'd want to use, or Mac.

> (btw, you don't want to know how often i can get x windows to crash,

The topic was user interface, not code quality.

> the whole point in such things is that one, once one is accustomed
> to a system, intuitively gets to know what to avoid / not use), but,
> as said, it's a pointless discussion and a matter of taste, we could
> as well be talking about music .. are the musical capabilities of
> your prefered performers better than mine?

I was not talking about matters of taste.  The deficiencies I
described have no redeeming purpose whatsoever.  They are inconvenient
and nothing else.

> btw. isn't the nice thing that, because tex is portable, one can
> choose whatever os is around? discussions about os, editor and
> everything else that is needed are always related to personal taste;
> actually, it would be more fun if we had some 50 operating systems)

There are more than 50 operating systems easily.  I know no GUI and OS
except that of Windows (and maybe MSDOS) with those problems I
described and which hit me just because I had to work for a few hours
with it.

If you prefer to consider the package as a whole worth having, that's
your privilege and a matter of taste.  But declaring clear
deficiencies as a matter of taste or non-existent does not make sense.

And no, nobody mimicks _those_, and for good reason.