[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Jun 8 10:01:52 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     Separating such things makes sense, too, doesn't it?
>
> Not entirely, not to me.
>
> So now when a Debian user wants to write a TUGboat paper, they would
> have to figure out what collection it's in and install that separately.
> This general problem of installing minimal/basic/small distributions and
> then forcing users to figure out which additional packages have to be
> downloaded in order to get their work done has probably frustrated more
> people than any other single thing about TeX installations.  Isn't
> letting people get their work done without fuss more important?

On the other hand, complaints are also frequently made by Debian users
that packages are too large, contain useless cruft, and force one to
download only the important things manually from CTAN.

But I don't have a strong opinion here, do what you think good.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)