[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Jun 6 10:12:40 CEST 2006

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

>> Linux distributions surely do *not* have that problem; we can just move
>> supp-*.tex to a different deb/rpm than the other context files.
>
> I hope you meant to say copy instead of move. Otherwise context users
> would be forced to install latex to get a working system, basically
> creating the same problem in reverse, but even worse (*every* context
> user needs those files).

I meant move.  Having the same file twice in a TEXMF tree is not
desirable.  As already discussed in this thread, we wouldn't move it
into a tpm that contains lots of LaTeX stuff, but in some other, small
tpm which then would be needed by LaTeX and ConTeXt.  How this splitting
would be reflected in Debian package I cannot tell (not familiar enough
with the splitting).

The point I wanted to make is that thanks to deb or rpm packaging, it is
easy to move files around between packages, contrary to what I
understood from Staszeks mail.  I was not talking about a specific
suggestion for supp-*.tex.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster