[tex-live] What do to with cm-super

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sun Jun 4 19:24:54 CEST 2006

gnwiii at gmail.com writes:

> On 6/3/06, Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>> 1) The teTeX approach: No cm-super at all. Tell people to use LM
>>    instead. Easy to implement, maximal space saving, but also maximal
>>    problems with Type3 fonts.
>
> Where do the Type 3 fonts come in?  Is this mostly a question of
> support for  languages outside the lm domain?

No, it is question of users not ready documentation and therefore
forgetting to add \usepackage{lmodern} to their documents that use T1
encoding. Unfortunately a rather realisitic situation.

> Unless a volunteer steps forward to actually do the hard cases (2 or 3),
> "easy to implement" will carry the day.  It would be nice to have the
> option of choosing between these options when installing TL.

Since the main size limitation lies in the installation medium, it is
difficult to imagine how such a choice could be offered. Only if some
other size reduction technique is employed (eg pfb2t1c) so that the full
cm-super could stay on the install CD, such a choice could be offered if
somebody invests the time. I had considered doing the splitting sketched
in case 3 for the cm-super packages in Debian, which could of course
also be used in TL. But I am not sure if I find the time for this in the
near future. :-(

cheerio
ralf