[tex-live] What do to with cm-super

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sun Jun 4 19:38:30 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> As an aside, it seems it would be nice, given today's world, if Latin
> Modern was somehow adopted in core LaTeX as at least an "equal" choice
> with the EC fonts -- though I admit I'm not sure what that means, and
> anyway doesn't help us now.

That is close to case 1 in the first list: change the fd files. (I don't
see a possibility to offer both choices.) It would be nice if we had an
intermediate LaTeX release that would not only use the LM fonts but also
switch to T1 encoding as default and fix some other problems in LaTeX 2e
that cannot be corrected without formating changes. But this is very
unlikely to happen.

> So, I surmise that the thing to do (just restating what you wrote) is:
> - include pfb2t1c and t1c2pfb in TL
> - compress the t1's when making the zips for the inst cd
> - uncompress the t1's when installing from inst
>
> Yikes.  Maybe some other way of saving enough space will present
> itself.

Definitely not easy. Norbert has implemented this for the cm-super
packages in Debian, but their installation happens on a much more
controled system. BTW, there is one nice thing about pfb2t1c and t1c2pfb
that I forgot to mentione. One can actually put a hole series of PFB
files into on T1C file (eg the complete cm-super fonts). Simply calling
t1c2pfb on that single file will produce all PFB files with proper
names.

cheerio
ralf