[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 3 12:10:23 CEST 2006

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>> > the problem is precisely that such a script has to have built-in
>> > knowledge about the package and how its docs are supposed to be
>> > processed.  there are a significant number of packages on ctan that
>> > just won't work in (what i think of as) the standard way -- process
>> > .ins, process .dtx -- enough that every so often i'm surprised by
>> > another twist.
>>
>> That's not the standard way.  The standard way is process .ins,
>> process .drv.  Only if there is no .drv generated, is .dtx worth a
>> try.
>
> ah.  the .drv style is in *so* much of a minority in latex2e
> packages, it never occurred to me to suggest it.  it's presumable a
> pre-2e notation?  (i never used the pre-2e doc stuff.)
>
> every 2e package i've created follows the style used in the latex
> kernel, which i had simply assumed was in some way "standard".

locate .drv on a TeXlive source tree spews out so many .drv files that
I won't post them here.

And in the beginning of LaTeX2e, .drv files were more common than now.
The reason probably so that you could make use of the files even in
the absence of docstrip: you could use the .dtx file for their
ultimate function (style file or class file or similar) without
running docstrip if you wanted to.