[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 2 13:20:56 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:15 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > It would be nice though if it generated .dvi documentation
>
> If dvi files were self-contained, that would be fine.
> The glory of PDF is that it has no dependencies
> on external graphics files, metrics, fonts etc.
>
> The dvi documentation for package X which
> uses fonts will not work until package X is installed.
> This is the argument used in the past, anyway.

That's a valid point for not using dvi documentation on the web, but
with a TeX distribution like TeX Live - the package the documentation
refers to is installed, either on the live DVD or on the hard disk.

> Speaking for myself, I haven't used a dvi file in I don't
> know how many years. It was a good idea in its time,
> like TeX itself,....

Until very recently, I did the latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf route for
everything, but I mostly just use pdflatex now. I still use it though
when I want to view a work in progress that's not finished, it is very
useful for that IMHO.

And for making documentation less of a packaging space hog ;)